St. Lucian Rum
|Map of St. Lucia|
In 1765 the first sugar estate on the island of St. Lucia “Vieux Fort” of Messrs Levacher and Le Blond was established. Until 1814, the island changed hands several times and has long been a bone of contention between France and England. Only in the Congress of Vienna in 1814 St. Lucia finally became a part of the English Empire. Like in all other British colonies as well the sugar industry of this island faced the sugar crisis of 1884-85 and received substantial financial losses. The number of estates declined increasingly. After a long and costly strike the last sugar factory in Roseau closed its doors in 1962 forever. The sugar cane was nearly brought to an end and bananas replace this cultivation almost completely.
In April 1971, the last two remaining distilleries merged together to form one company. It was the Dennery Company in Dennery and the Geest Industries (Estatest) Limited in Roseau. The resulting company was called St. Lucia Distillers Limited. The equipping if the said distillery now includes three pot stills and a 2-column column still. The previous pot still rums, which were purchased in the bulk trade for Europe, are tasting very special and are most likely to be compared with some Rhum Industriel bottlings from Guadeloupe (molasses-based rums). In this flavour profile is also the influence of the two nations reflected, which fought for control over this island island for a verylong time. There is to the English medium to heavy body a strong French influence to be found in the produced rums.
If I have more time for a proper research, then I will also make a little article to this nation.
Known St. Lucian bottlings
- Berry's Own Selection St. Lucia St. Lucia Distillers 12 YO (1999 - 2011/2012), 46% vol.
- Blackadder St. Lucia 12 YO (1999 – 2012) (244Fl), 68,2%
- Cadenhead's Cask Strength St. Lucia Distillers SLJD 9 YO (1999 - 2008) - 70,8% vol. (Pot Still)
- Cadenhead Green Label St. Lucia 11 YO (St. Lucia Distillers) (1999 - 2010/11), 46%
- Duncan Taylor St. Lucia Distillery 11 YO (2002 – 2013) (242 Fl) (Pot Still), Cask 5, 52,6%
- Duncan Taylor St. Lucia Distillery 11 YO (2002 – 2013) (226 Fl) (Pot Still), Cask 6, 54,2%
- Moon Import St. Lucia 1999 11 YO (1999 – 2010), 46%
- Renegade Rum Company St. Lucia, St. Lucia Distillers, 10 YO (1999 - 2009), Chateau Lafleur Finish (1550 Fl.)
- St Lucia Distillers Chairman's Reserve Finest St Lucia Rum, 40% (Blend Pot & Column Still)
- St Lucia Distillers Chairman's Reserve White Label, 40% (White Rum)
- St Lucia Distillers Chairman's Reserve Spiced Rum, 40%
- St Lucia Distillers 1931 First Edition, 43% (Batch 01; Bottled 2011) (Blend Pot & Column Still)
- St Lucia Distillers 1931 Second Edition, 43% (Batch 02; Bottled 2012) (Blend Pot & Column Still)
- St Lucia Distillers 1931 Third Edition, 43% (Batch 03; Bottled 2013) (Blend Pot & Column Still)
- St Lucia Distillers 1931 Fourth Edition, 43% (Batch 04; Bottled 2014) (Blend Pot & Column Still)
- Selection Privée Original St.Lucia Rum 9 YO (2005/2006 – 2015) (John Dore PotStill), 55%vol
- Selection Privée Original St. Lucia Rum 9 YO (2005/2006 – 2015) (Vendom PotStill), 53%vol
- Selection Privée Original St.Lucia Rum 6 YO (2008/2009 – 2015) (Vendom PotStill), 52%vol